Windows Service Start-error (1053)

General discussion

•  

Hi,

I have a windows service that has been working perfectly, but now it won't start. I'm getting a 1053 error reading:

"The WinTasks7 service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. "

I've tried running it as administrator and I've even commented out any work the service is supposed to do..

Protected Overrides OnStart(ByVal args() as string)

'bgTasks.RunWorkerAsync()

End Sub

Still no juice..

Tracing the .exe file in process monitor I noticed that the service is trying to access some non-existsing registry keys..

- NAME NOT FOUND: HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework

- NAME NOT FOUND: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\GCStressStart

- NAME NOT FOUND: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\GCStressStartAtJit

- NAME NOT FOUND: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\DisableConfigCache

- NO MORE ENTRIES: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework

Does this make any sense to anyone?
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Jorno,

Try to debug your service, as described in the following article:
    [How to debug Windows services]
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824344

I hope this helps!
    -Rajneesh

www.ComponentOne.com
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Strange problem indeed.  The registry keys are normal, just the CLR looking for optional configuration.  You should try this on another PC to ensure this isn't caused by a machine issue.  Set the AutoLog property to true in the constructor, that will leave breadcrumbs in the Application Event Log.
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:00 PM
  • We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 3:28 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 3:28 AM
  • Hello,

I have written a Windows Service in C# and it works fine on Windows XP. But when i run it on Windows Server 2003. Though i am able to install it, it does not start.Also my service uses Local System Account.

Below is the Onstart COde:-

protected override void OnStart(string[] args)
            {

if (EventLog.SourceExists("Mirage") == false)
                {
                    EventLog.CreateEventSource("Mirage", "MirageLog");

}

myLog.Log = "MirageLog";
                myLog.Source = "Mirage";
                myLog.WriteEntry("The Service has Started successfully." , EventLogEntryType.Information);

GetStartUpValues();
                if (ValidateValues() == true)
                {

TimerCallback oCallback = new TimerCallback(OnTimedEvent);
                    oTimer = new System.Threading.Timer(oCallback, null, 0, 5000);

}
                else
                {
                    objLogErrorUtility.LoggingError("Error in the service due to values in Config.ini file", "Please check values in Config.ini file", 1, "E");
                }

}

Would appreciate help in this regard.

Regards.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:44 PM