What means custom:250000c2 in BCD?

Frage

• In every Windows Boot Loader section in BCD appears a line like

custom:250000c2          1

Can someone tell me what it means?

Thanks

Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2011 08:30

Antworten

• custom:250000c2 is a setting for a BCD entry that tells bootmgr to go ahead and boot Windows 8 and invoke bootux.dll to display the new metro style and touch compatible boot menu. Setting that option to 0 or removing the option from the bcd entry will tell bootmgr to fall back to the behavior we are used to in Vista and 7. This is why when you are in a dual boot situation and have Windows Vista or Windows 7 set as the default OS and have it set to display a boot menu it falls back to the behavior we are accustom to as this setting is not specified.

You should never attempt to edit system configuration such as the registry or bcd boot entries without a proper understanding of how they work as they can render your system unbootable.

If you do wish to play around with this particular setting make sure to do it in a test environment and make sure any data you do not wish to potentially loose is properly backed up.

---

Matt A. Tobin
    Commanding Officer
    Binary Outcast

Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 12:23

Alle Antworten

• Are you getting this error during installation?

If possible, could you post screenshot of this error?

Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2011 11:21
  • This is not an error. It is an entry in BCD after installing the WDP.

The bold marked line in my first post is a screen shot yet!

Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2011 11:35
  • I saw this, too but I can't find any details about it :(
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Matt A. Tobin Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 12:17
    • Nicht als Antwort vorgeschlagen Matt A. Tobin Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 12:17
    Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2011 13:44
  • custom:250000c2 is a setting for a BCD entry that tells bootmgr to go ahead and boot Windows 8 and invoke bootux.dll to display the new metro style and touch compatible boot menu. Setting that option to 0 or removing the option from the bcd entry will tell bootmgr to fall back to the behavior we are used to in Vista and 7. This is why when you are in a dual boot situation and have Windows Vista or Windows 7 set as the default OS and have it set to display a boot menu it falls back to the behavior we are accustom to as this setting is not specified.

You should never attempt to edit system configuration such as the registry or bcd boot entries without a proper understanding of how they work as they can render your system unbootable.

If you do wish to play around with this particular setting make sure to do it in a test environment and make sure any data you do not wish to potentially loose is properly backed up.

---

Matt A. Tobin
    Commanding Officer
    Binary Outcast

Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 12:23
  • Thanks Matt A Tobin,

the information was extremely helpful, I work mostly in multi-boot and got a traditional boot manager whenever an OS other than WDP was selected as default, but I could never figure out the reason. 

Irfan

Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 13:19
  • Thanks mslux,

for posting this question.

Irfan

Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 13:24
  • Hey no problem. I was finding it kinda rediculous that if Windows 8 was set as default os you had to go though the process of

bootmgr > Windows 8 > bootux.dll > Select Windows 7 > reboot > bootmgr > Windows 7

I was talking to someone on #nttalk on AlphaChat.net about this and figured I was going to explore what can be done about it. I determined the bootmgr was indeed windows 8's build so I looked to see what was different about the BCD entries and worked out the rest. It was fun. I love diving into these sorts of things. Learning, exploring, getting things to do stuff they don't by default. Ask me about a little known registry key called "ClassicBackDoor" some time.

---
    Matt A. Tobin
    Commanding Officer
    Binary Outcast
    Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 14:19
  • Ask me about a little known registry key called "ClassicBackDoor" some time.

Hi Matt,

please tell me me about the little known registry key called "ClassicBackDoor" at your covenience, if isn't a big bother. I'm sort of ignorant about Registry issues. You may post your reply here or post a link.

Irfan

Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 17:00
  • On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:00:13 +0000, Irfanfare wrote:

please tell me me about the little known registry key called "ClassicBackDoor" at your covenience, if isn't a big bother. I'm sort of ignorant about Registry issues. You may post your reply here or post a link.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-metroui-oobe-shown-off-on-video

First hit on Google, check the comments.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    All computers run at the same speed...  with the power off.

Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 17:20
  • Hello Paul Adare,

the video has been pulled out, the screen states, "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Microsoft Corporation." Thx for trying to help.

Irfan

Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 17:48
  • On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:48:31 +0000, Irfanfare wrote:

Hello Paul Adare,

the video has been pulled out, the screen states, "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Microsoft Corporation." Thx for trying to help.

The video has nothing to do with my post, you asked about the registry
    entry. As I said, check the comments.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    GIGO:  A movie industry acronym referring to the numerous "Gidget Goes..."
    movies, i.e.  GIGO Hawaii, GIGO surfing, etc.

Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012 18:10