none
Configure BIOS VB.Net

Frage

• I have a need to configure a BIOS password programmatically.  I have been using the CCTK on Dell machines but, we are targeting new NEC WEPOS machines and there doesn't seem to be a toolkit to do this.  I can write C++ or VB so, whatever it takes.  I have looked at ROOT.COMV2.Win32_Bios but it returns nothing useful.  This is very important as, it relates to PCI compliance.  Any thoughts?

Steve

Donnerstag, 15. März 2012 19:48

Antworten

• I was able to convince the folks at NEC for the need to have such an app for PCI compliance on our POS app.

We are testing the tool currently and if you'd like, i'll provide what I find out.

Steve

Sonntag, 24. Juni 2012 17:44

Alle Antworten

• Hi Steve,

This is not right forum for your question.

check below link may be you can start from below link

http://www.syntax-example.com/Code/show-system-configuration-biosequip-631.aspx

Regards

Alisha

Freitag, 16. März 2012 17:54
  • You did not mention the 'correct' forum.  I looked at the example and it calls for 'bios.h' which does not exist on my machine.

Steve

Also, this only works on a "DOS" based OS which doesn't apply.

Thanks, though.  Still looking

Freitag, 16. März 2012 18:10
  • Hi

Bios.h is exist in C, not VC, because it is can only be called in DOS envirionment.

Have a nice day.

Ghost,
    Call me ghost for short, Thanks
    To get the better anwser, it should be a better question.

Samstag, 17. März 2012 03:50
  • Doing a complete search of my computer, i found no file named Bios.h.  Searching the Internet for it, reveals that it is irrelevant on machines that do not have DOS as the OS and, is not offered on Win32/64 machines.

Surely I am not the first developer that needed to do this.  In the early days, I read a book on BIOS programming (early 90s) that was pretty complex using Assembler Language but, it was do-able.  Has this area remained completely in the hands of a few companies?  I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would blindly sit on top of any hardware or software without 100% knowledge and access to its inner workings.

Still looking.

Steve

Samstag, 17. März 2012 23:30
  • Remember Windows API is for automating an existing Windows feature, and Windows does not have a feature to let you to change the bios password. Microsoft does not have any knowledge about what it does not need, because if it asks then there must be a reason. 

You need to contact the author of the driver for the motherboard. What you are asking is implementation detail, and is very likely to be different between hardware producers.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Sonntag, 18. März 2012 15:56
  • So, if I understand you, Microsoft has "no way" to touch the BIOS memory - documented or otherwise?  Using "Debug" at the console gains access to this area.  Also, I assume there is a way to use AL to get to it.  Why is this being shyed away from?  Someone out there in MS Forum land knows how to do this.  I have reached out to the BIOS manufacturer but, I'm not holding my breath.

Steve

Sonntag, 18. März 2012 16:10
  • You understood wrong. Microsoft has access to BIOS, but only up to what it need. There is no need for Microsoft to ask BIOS manufacturers to have an IO code to change password, so Microsoft does not have a feature that you can ask API for.

And since Microsoft does not have such a requirement, it is unlikely BIOS manufacturers can justify the cost to design such an IO code in the hardware that does not bring in revenue, let alone spending time to standardize the IO code's value.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Sonntag, 18. März 2012 19:56
  • I'm not sure whether to mark your comment as the 'answer' or not.  While it is an answer, it does not solve my problem.  But, I do appreciate your feedback.

Steve

Montag, 19. März 2012 13:03
  • Did you find the right forum?

VS category list: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/visualstudio

Visual C++: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads

Maybe drill down to a specific technology?

Thanks~!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Montag, 9. April 2012 05:04
    Besitzer
  • did you ever find a universal way to modify the bios on non dell/hp machines?
    Mittwoch, 25. April 2012 16:36
  • I was able to convince the folks at NEC for the need to have such an app for PCI compliance on our POS app.

We are testing the tool currently and if you'd like, i'll provide what I find out.

Steve

Sonntag, 24. Juni 2012 17:44