VS2008 Profiler in sample mode

Frage

• Hi,

Whenever I try to run the profiler with sample mode. It fails and gives this error

PRF0010: Launch Aborted - Unable to start vsperfmon.exe

Invalid File ... No data was collected

I have uninstalled the profiling tools and re-installed them -- didn't work

I have unistalled the whole visual studio and re-installed it -- didn't work.

I made sure that I have the driver VSPerfDrv90.sys installed.

These steps was suggested by Chris Schmich in previous posts but It does not seem to work. I am adminstrator on the machine!!

Any ideas?

• Bearbeitet Toota Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 15:57
    Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 15:54

Alle Antworten

• Hello Toota,

Thanks for your posting.

See this blog Solution to "Unable to start vsperfmon.exe".

This is a discussion thread, see VSPerfMon is not running properly in sample mode. Hope it could provide useful information.

Thanks,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Donnerstag, 29. September 2011 06:40
  • Thanks Jack for your instant response.

Yes, I read these before but they did not help at all.

Here is the exact error that I got, maybe it will give you a clue.

Error VSP1398 : The monitor was unable to start the VS performance driver. An instance of the service is already running. Consider using the /Admin:Driver,Start and /Admin:Security options of VSPerfCmd from an elevated environment. Profiling cannot continue.

Error VSP1341 : Could not start logging engine. Shutting down.

Profiler exited

PRF0010: Launch Aborted - Unable to start vsperfmon.exe

Error VSP1712: Invalid File: C:\Home\Research\MP_6_17\MP\MP110929(3).vspPRF0025: No data was collected.

Donnerstag, 29. September 2011 14:21
  • I found this link tha seem to be useful

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/profiler/archive/2010/01/14/vs-2008-profiler-and-nehalem-intel-processor.aspx

But when I try to download the hotfix, I get

None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup.

Although, I havve Visual studio 2008 SP1 installed !!!

Thanks!

• Bearbeitet Toota Donnerstag, 29. September 2011 14:55
    Donnerstag, 29. September 2011 14:53
  • Hello Toota,

Do you mean that you download the hotfix from here?

1. How about restart your PC after installing Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, then try to install the hotfix.

2. Go to the command prompt, and type in command line with these.

A useful thread, see: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstsprofiler/thread/1ed427e7-aba9-4a2d-a4d2-d7a9fa63c183/

3. If no help, you can submit this issue to Microsoft Connect feedback portalhttp://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously, thanks. If this issue is urgent, please contact support at http://support.microsoft.com.

Thanks,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Freitag, 30. September 2011 02:48
  • I figured out that the problem is not in the SP!. It seems like this fix works only for

Nehalem Intel Processor

That's why it refused to install on my machine.  The profiler still gives the same error , though!

Montag, 3. Oktober 2011 13:26
  • Hello Toota,

You could tell us your detailed steps with Profiler. I could try to run it with my PC to check it.

Please also attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the sky driver, and then share the download link in your post.

Thanks,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]

Dienstag, 4. Oktober 2011 03:24