none
Workflows in SharePoint Designer 2010 - what are the other start options?

Frage

• I have a workflow that has an IF condition to insert an item into a different list if a certain value of a column in the current list is equal to something. I don't want this value inserted in any other case, but the only start options that I see for a workflow are - manual, item created, item changed. Is there any way to configure this "Item changed" parameter so that the workflow runs only if the IF condition is true? I got the workflow working by selecting item changed as the start option pretty easily but I don't want this behavior. Does this need to be done in WWF? Or maybe I am doing something wrong?
    Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2010 02:50

Antworten

• I thought you said you had a condition in the workflow telling it not to perform the action unless a certain value is submitted.  If you set the condition properly, then the workflow should only update the list when it's supposed to.  The workflow will RUN each time a form is edited, but it won't perform the list update unless the condition is met.  Did you not set your condition(s) properly?

I definitely think workflow is a great solution.  I don't know what else you'd use if not a workflow...

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Als Antwort markiert igor92128 Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2010 16:41
    Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2010 06:39

Alle Antworten

• No, the start action cannot be based on a field; only on an edit of the record itself.  What's the problem with it running on edit?  Is it causing performance issues?
    Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2010 03:45
  • Just to clarify - I have an InfoPath form with a content type that where one of the fields is a dropdown, and I want to add a new record to a different list only if the user selects a certain value and submits the form, updating the list.  If the workflow creates a record in the other list at each submit as it does currently, it will not cause performance issues but there will be too much extra data. Maybe a workflow isn't the best solution here anyways?

Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2010 06:24
  • I thought you said you had a condition in the workflow telling it not to perform the action unless a certain value is submitted.  If you set the condition properly, then the workflow should only update the list when it's supposed to.  The workflow will RUN each time a form is edited, but it won't perform the list update unless the condition is met.  Did you not set your condition(s) properly?

I definitely think workflow is a great solution.  I don't know what else you'd use if not a workflow...

• Als Antwort markiert igor92128 Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2010 16:41
    Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2010 06:39