Application and ws written in .NET and database system written in PL/SQL. Should I go this way?

Dotaz

• Some time ago decided to write my system in .NET and database in T-SQL.

I have been using C# for at least 4-5 years and I've just started my journey in T-SQL.

I want to write db part in T-SQL because its 'the same node of technology, the same producer of software'.

No sooner had I started doing exercises with T-SQL, I realized that there is a big goal to achieve - start to learn something new all over again.

At work I had a occasion to startup my database  practise with PL/SQL and I can say, I know a lot more about it than I know about T-SQL.

But, its a different technology.. Oracle vs. Microsoft. Is it good to mix those together?

It will be my diplom system to school, so that point of view is also necessery. 

What's your opinion about it?

• Upravený jackbond 8. dubna 2012 13:58
    8. dubna 2012 13:55

Odpovědi

• There should be no problem writing code in .NET and connecting to an Oracle Database.  In NET, you would use an Oracle Driver in your NET connection statement to the Oracle Databae.  Your SQL statement are strings that would be compatable to oracle standards.

If you were using a non-Oracle driver then you may have issues.  For example using the Microsoft Jet Engine wouldn't understand the TSQL.

It is very common for people to connect to Oracle databases on windows PC, and there shouldn't be any obstacles in automatings these databases.

jdweng

• Označen jako odpověď jackbond 8. dubna 2012 19:57
    8. dubna 2012 17:44
  • Actually there was a typo in my earlier comment, i was in a rush. PL SQL Syntax is used for Oracle and TSQL for MS SQL Server. Secondly, If Syntax knowledge is an argument then go with any that feel you more comfortable. .Net supports oracle and you can use oracle driver for .Net to perform DB operations.

Ovais Mehboob

8. dubna 2012 18:59

Všechny reakce

• Tsql is used in MS SQL Server databases where PL/SQL is used in Oracle. You should not opt any of these depending on the syntax you are familiar with but the need you have. For example, if you think the licensing, storage etc. will benefit you using MS Sql server go with that and use TSQL or vice versa.

Ovais Mehboob

8. dubna 2012 16:42
  • Tsql is used in Oracle databases where PLSQL is used in MS SQL Server. You should not opt any of these depending on the syntax you are familiar with but the need you have. For example, if you think the licensing, storage etc. will benefit you using MS Sql server go with that and use PL SQL or vice versa.

Ovais Mehboob

Thank you for your reply!

TSQL is used in MSSQL and PL/SQL is used in Oracle DB ;) 

That would be my diplom system so I think stuff like licensing doesnt matter wheter I can use Express editions of those db.

Thats why syndax knowledge is an argument in my problem.

8. dubna 2012 16:56
  • There should be no problem writing code in .NET and connecting to an Oracle Database.  In NET, you would use an Oracle Driver in your NET connection statement to the Oracle Databae.  Your SQL statement are strings that would be compatable to oracle standards.

If you were using a non-Oracle driver then you may have issues.  For example using the Microsoft Jet Engine wouldn't understand the TSQL.

It is very common for people to connect to Oracle databases on windows PC, and there shouldn't be any obstacles in automatings these databases.

jdweng

• Označen jako odpověď jackbond 8. dubna 2012 19:57
    8. dubna 2012 17:44
  • Actually there was a typo in my earlier comment, i was in a rush. PL SQL Syntax is used for Oracle and TSQL for MS SQL Server. Secondly, If Syntax knowledge is an argument then go with any that feel you more comfortable. .Net supports oracle and you can use oracle driver for .Net to perform DB operations.

Ovais Mehboob

8. dubna 2012 18:59
  • Thanks again for replies. I would rather use stored procedures than string queries passed through the db driver.As far as I know those dbs are similar, both have procedures, functions, views and triggers so cooperating with db will be just create procedures and functions and db schema and customize the oracle driver.

Have a nice night.

Jack

8. dubna 2012 19:56
  • Read this webpage

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/john_charles/CallingOraclestoredproceduresfromMicrosoftdotNET06222007142805PM/CallingOraclestoredproceduresfromMicrosoftdotNET.aspx

I'm not making any recommendation.  I'm just pointing that it can be done. this is a Microsoft Website and some people recommend using Microsoft SQL Server.  I know databases very well and know the differences between Access, Oracle and and SQL Server.  Depending on the size of your database, the number of people using the database, and where the database is located (web or file system) should determine which database you should use.

jdweng

8. dubna 2012 21:06